Net Merit* (NM$) rankings for Red breed bulls available (April 2017) in the US, show Scandinavian Red bulls at the top. Five out of 7 top NM$ Red breed bulls are proven Norwegian Red sires. No surprise that 2 of these 5 are sons of the popular Braut – – Gopollen** and Enger**.
Rank NAAB code and Name NM$
No. 2 252NR11033 REITAN 2 866
No. 4 252NR11078 GOPOLLEN 840
No. 5 252NR11039 SKJELVAN 837
No. 6 252NR10579 EGGTROEN 785
No. 7 252NR11147 ENGER 746
Here are some high points of these 5 bulls:
REITAN 2 (11033) – Outstanding production, udders and resistance to mastitis and other diseases, caution on heifers
GOPOLLEN (11078) – Great all-around sire, outstanding udders, excellent production and fertility, plus very good calving ease. Son of Braut
SKJELVAN (11039) – Extremely high production, very good udders and excellent maternal calving ease
EGGTROEN (10579) – Polled, high production, high udders and great daughter fertility. 2nd crop daughters. Sexed semen available.
ENGER (11147) – High production, very good udders and good calving ease. Sexed semen available. Son of Braut
*Net Merit $ is key US total merit index used for ranking sires for expected daughter lifetime total net merit or profit. See full definition here.
** Two Braut sons (Gopollen and Enger) were originally named Prestangen and Sole which were names already used internationally so their names were changed to Gopollen and Enger.
- Genomic sires continue to spur improvement August 8, 2017
- China visit to Norwegian Red AI bull station July 7, 2017
- Genomic sires dominate the updated Norwegian Red genetic evaluations April 6, 2017
- Norwegian Red genetics continue to grow market share March 13, 2017
- Lars Bredahl appointed Chief Operating Officer, International at Geno March 7, 2017
- Delegation from China visit Norway December 14, 2016