genoBULLetin is a publication of “all things Norwegian Red.” The spring 2012 edition is available at genoBULLetin 1-2012.
The bulls: 10 to 12 Norwegian Red (NRF) bulls achieve elite status in Norway each year, some of which are exported to 20 countries throughout the world. The two elite Tranmael bulls are featured in this spring 2012 genoBULLetin.
The breed: It’s a designer dairy breed constantly being improved to transmit increased fertility, restistance to mastitis and other diseases, survival and percentages of fat and protein. Read the stories of producers who have used the NRF for crossbreeding in Italy and Scotland in the spring 2012 genoBULLetin. The Italian story is told by Norwegian producers touring Italy who found the NRF crosses doing very well under “hotter” rations than what are available in Norway.
The people: 12,000 Norwegian dairy farmers of the Geno Breeding and A.I. Association are committed to using 40% test (young) sires and to the oversight of the Geno scientists and Geno Global* company to make the Norwegian Red breed even more robust and revelant for use by the international dairy community. The “Tranmael bull story” in the spring genoBULLetin is the story of two Norwegian producers, Solveig and Torbjorn Tranmael (aha! – bulls get their names after the farms they were born on). The “How to breed for the trait of milking speed?” and “Mastitis is negative for fertility” give perspectives of a Geno livestock consultant and a Geno scientist into breeding program plans for the future betterment of the breed.
What is striking to those of us outside Norway is that the Geno motto “Breeding for better lives” is being lived by the robust Norwegian Red breed in Norway and by the people who care for these cows – - more “trouble-free” cows makes for less management inputs and headaches.
*Geno Breeding and A.I. Association is a cooperative
organization owned by 12,000 Norwegian dairy farmers.
Geno Global is owned by Geno and is in charge of all
the export of Norwegian Red (NRF) sire semen. Geno
Global has subsidiaries in Italy and the UK. The company
cooperates with distributors and sales companies in various
other countries such as USA, Holland, Ireland, Germany,
Poland, Colombia and Israel.
- Geno expands dairy crossbreeding businessGeno Global has established branch offices in Greece, Bulgaria and Romania in response to growing dairy crossbreeding business. […]
- Polled sires Lekve and Ravn hold the top 2 spots in latest Norwegian Red sire proofsLekve (10714) and Ravn (10739) continue in the top 2 spots for Total Merit Index (TMI) in the March 2013 Norwegian Red genetic evaluations […]
- Successful launch of Geno TurkeyGeno Turkey was established on February 21st 2013. Geno Turkey will advice and sell bovine genetics for dairy crossbreeding to farmers in Turkey and neighbouring countries […]
- On-line Crossbreeding Profit Calculator !Norwegian Red crossbreds excel in health and fertility traits when compared to Holsteins. The Crossbreeding Calculator On-line will show you how the crossbred superiority in these traits translates into profit. […]
- Polled sires Ravn and Lekve shine in latest Norwegian Red sire proofsPolled sires Ravn (10739) and Lekve (10714) are the top two bulls for Total Merit Index (TMI) from the December 2012 Norwegian Red (NRF) genetic evaluations with TMIs of 31 and 27, respectively. […]
- Geno expands dairy crossbreeding business