Here’s a quote/goal from the 2014 Crossbred Cow of the Year contest – - ”A PROFITABLE type of cow that does her job without any problems.” In other words “a cow with more gives and less takes.” Less of these profit-stealers:
Less inseminations per pregnancy – less cost per pregnancy, less days open, less synchronization costs [...]
Recent research results show greater fertility and survival with crossbred cows compared with pure Holstein cows, writes Professor Bradley Heins. His research at the University of Minnesota and his summary of other research trials was published May 20, 2014 at The Dairy Site in the article “
This blog features some excerpts from the February Holstein International and USDA about the status of fitness trait leaders in Holsteins.
Holstein International ranks bulls on their national index in their genetic base, using aggressive minimum criteria for productive life, daughter fertility and somatic cell counts. Here are some quotes from an article entitled ““Triple-Plus” [...]
You undoubtedly have more than one crossbred cow that you could nominate, but nominate one – – right now – – since SHE could be the winner!
Go to The Dairy Crossbred Blog for more details. Here is
2014 reality: It is possible to implement a systematic crossbreeding system to dramatically increase fertility and to equal or increase component yields and, therefore, maintain or increase income from milk.
2014 excuse: Believe the statement “Crossbreeding with nontraditional dairy breeds has allowed some producers to address the problem [of fertility], but it typically comes [...]
Thanks, Dennis Halladay, Western Editor of Hoard’s for sharing the 2012 rate of cows leaving production by breeds – – including 2 categories of crossbred herds. His Hoard’s Dairyman Intel 2014 article is entitled Which breeds stay in herds longer?. The 2012 source data for this Intl [...]
Let’s hear it for 20% crossbred cows in the U.S. (by 2024 or 2034)! Is this a conservative or radical estimate?
- Skjelvan and Tangvoll battle for the top elite sire status in NorwayThirty-three new Norwegian Red (NRF) sires received their first official genetic evaluations in June 2014 and three new NRF sires came through with Total Merit Indexes (TMI) above 20. […]
- Tangvoll solidifies his status as a top elite sire in NorwayThirty six new NRF sires received their first official genetic evaluations in February 2014 and 5 new NRF sires came through with Total Merit Indexes (TMI) above 20. The new bull Skjelvan (11039) leads the NRF sire list with a TMI of 39. […]
- Braut - Dairy Crossbred Bull of the year 2013 !Braut is the most exported Norwegian Red (NRF) bull of all time and has daughters in over 22 different countries. Braut has been a top bull on the Total Merit Index (TMI) list in Norway (20+) for much of the last decade and he is still going strong. […]
- Outstanding new sire Tangvoll tops the latest Norwegian Red Total Merit IndexThirty four new NRF sires received their first official genetic evaluations in September 2013 and several new NRF sires came through with outstanding Total Merit Indexes (TMI). Three sires that were newly proven in June of 2013 added daughters and are in the top 5 for TMI. […]
- Dairy Crossbreeding Programs2 PLUS and 3 PLUS are Geno's dairy crossbreeding programs that include several breeds that can be succesfully used when crossbreeding. […]
- Skjelvan and Tangvoll battle for the top elite sire status in Norway